What was the very first ILS system you remember working with?

I remember those being used when I got my first library card and for quite a while at my home library at the time…well into the 90s.

1 Like

It was DRA Classic at UBC library. Since then, Horizon, Voyager, Millenium, Sierra, and now I’m all about Polaris.

2 Likes

CLSI, 1989. I was the Circulation Librarian at the Community College of Rhode Island, part of the HELIN Consortium. It was clunky, but great because we were automated! We were all very happy when we made the switch to INNOPAC in 1990 because it was better, although for the life of me, I can’t recall how.

1 Like

Testing my memory here! Back in 1986 I was using Circulation Plus by Follett. Very sophisticated back in the day, a basic program for checking out and in items. But when I started working in our library I began with the Gaylord punch system and hand typing notices.

1985 – CLSI and it was on what was called a “dumb terminal” and text based. We printed spine labels on an old Apple printer that had a typewrite type of keyboard.
Oh, the good old days!

Yup! If we didn’t have that exact model, it was very similar. Stupid thing looked like a Hayes modem with a pen attached. :rofl:

Our first catalog, besides the card catalog, was Bibliophile. We sent floppy discs of cataloged and weeded titles, and they sent a disc back with our holdings. Our catalog was a combined effort with several other libraries in the East Valley.

We also had a home-grown acquisitions system to order books.

And yes, those ‘light pens’ for scanners were tricky, had to clean the tips frequently.

1 Like

My very first was CLSI - all text with a flashing cursor (kind of like admin corner). :wink:

1 Like