Suggested Web Camera to use for Patron Photos

Has anyone found a newer model of web cam to use for patron photos? We need to supplement some of the old Logitech 210s and so far my trials have resulted in the client crashing with newer Logitech cameras.

Thanks,

Chad

Are you using Leap for photo taking or the Desktop client? If Leap, what web browser are you using? If the desktop client, what version of Windows are you running?

Hi Wes,

We are newish to Leap and are mostly using it out on the floor or in outreach situations. I am encouraging staff to utilize it at the desks as well and Leap seems to be very forgiving on camera models, unlike the desktop client.

Our members are reporting success with Logitech C615 HD Webcam so it might be worth getting one as a trial to see if it works for you.

Thank you, I will give that one a try as I may have one on hand (I just need to steal it from a staff member).

I would be interested to know how many libraries take pictures of patrons…? We tested the process when it was released but never moved beyond testing. I think it would be interesting to know how patrons felt about it and how the library justified the practice with stakeholders.

We have 17 member libraries and only one that I know of does it.

It is optional for the patron, but many like it because it is the way the library allows them to checkout at the counter if they’ve forgotten their card.

1 - Has helped in at least two cases of suspect use of someone’s card.

2 - If you have photo on file and do not have card in hand, we can still check you out.

Totally voluntary.

1 Like