SQL users guide for find tool?

Is there a users guide for the find tool for SQL? I know how to write queries but I don’t know the structure of the tables in the find tool to be able to properly target them

1 Like

I haven’t seen a guide but the find tool only requires the select to have patronID or ItemrecordID, ect.
use the From, Join, Where.
The tool does not allow any database changes.

I get that, but what fields can I query? and what’s the proper way of doing so? In SQL Server, the proper construction is polaris.polaris.(table_name)? would i have to do select patronid from polaris.polaris.patronaccount? and are there any tables that are not available to the find tool?

There’s a CHM file that’s published in the Supportal that lists the Polaris tables and fields. It’s version specific - this file is for Polaris 7.3, but if you search CHM on the Supportal you can find the one that matches your Polaris version. You will need to get a CHM file reader, though.

It’s generally what I use if I need to look up specific tables and fields. Most functionality tables are in the Polaris database, and if you mainly want to search for patron and item records, each have 2 tables - Patrons and PatronRegistration, and CircItemRecords and ItemRecordDetails respectively. There are lots of tables, but most you likely don’t need to know, and if you want to find other tables for a specific data element a good thing to do is search the type of ID being used (i.e. PatronID) in the file to see which tables link to that record type. Hopefully that gives you a good start!

1 Like

I’m still having issues constructing select statements. I tried “select top 500 * from polaris.polaris.patronregistration” and all i get is “unsupported search. additional information: no further information available” which is obviously terribly unhelpful

Hey Alvin,
The only value you can return is the ID. So you would use select top 500 PatronID from polaris.polaris.patronregistration, for example. The same goes for Bibs and Items.

You can use other joins and where statements without any variables and it should return results as long as the only value that is returned is the ID of the record type.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s helpful

1 Like

Here is one showing joins and where… the key is the select statement should only have the ID…

1 Like