Splitting Grouped Works

This is a repost from Discord.

I’m sure this topic has come up before in the cataloging world, but with discovery layers grouping works together, it merits revisiting. Works like Romeo & Julet represent a bit of a grouping conundrum. First, you have the various editions of the play published over time. Then you have augmented editions which are the work, but printed with extra context (Ex: Shakespeare Made Easy, No Fear Shakespeare, etc.). And finally you have the likes of Cliff’s Notes, which are about the work, but do not contain the entirety of the original text.

All three of these categories being consolidated into a single grouped work (or roll up, I think Vega might call it?) could be problematic for the patron. Especially if the Cliff’s Notes are included. If we exclude Cliff’s Notes, then you could at least say that a patron wanting to read R&J would be satisfied by pretty much any edition (augmented or otherwise).

My question is: What merit is there in splitting the editions into to primary grouped works? Romeo & Juliet and Romeo & Juliet (Augmented Editions) For catalogers, what would be a good way to document wether an edition is the “regular” or “augmented” variety? I’m coming from a public library perspective, so you can imagine that high school is the dominant context that arises for this type of situation. Should we even bother with the distinction?