New registration in Vega Discover (Sierra Libraries)

Hello,

Are there any Sierra libraries that have tested the Vega Discover new registration and have found that the temporary PIN is compatible with their Sierra wwwoptions settings?

Sierra’s PIN_ALPHA_NUM does not include special characters (please vote! for this idea) but perhaps libraries have disabled their PIN requirements in the wwwoptions? Please let me know if I am wrong! If your temporary PIN works as expected using the new registration workflow, which wwwoption setting have you assigned in Sierra.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

1 Like

Hi Elizabeth,

When we create patron accounts (so those NOT coming through online registration, which we only offer in WebPAC at the moment), we make the PIN the last 4 digits of the patron’s telephone number on file. Then they can change to something else if they want to do that. I’m looking at our wwwoptions settings and I have PIN_ALPHA_NUM and PIN_NUM_ONLY set to false. I think it’s been that way since before my time.

When I register using Vega patron registration, I can put numbers, letters, etc., no issues.

I’m encountering too many issues (below) with trying to provide patron registration through Vega at this point. It doesn’t seem compatible with Sierra (or at least how our system has been configured), but maybe I’m missing something.

Issues encountered thus far:

*Back and forth between WebPAC (set your password, PIN reset – Start over button takes you to the WebPAC home page), no longer in Vega, not obvious how to get back there. This is the biggest stumbling block, I think.

*Uses the _p default template (unlike WebPAC, where you can use a specific template)

*Variable-length fields you may have set in the _p default (like MESSAGE) won’t show in the record that is created, when registering online

*Seems to default EXP DATE to 3 months in the future (can’t seem to control that)

*Middle Name (make it required in the Vega registration settings) doesn’t come over/populate, just the Last name, First name

*In the p_default I have the fixed field for HOME LIBR at “none” and did not set that in Vega admin (just the PTYPE). When the record is created in Sierra, the branch stays at “none” but when you log in to Vega as that new patron, it’s showing one of our library branches (which again, I did not set in Vega).

*Address fields don’t map over correctly from the registration form to what you then see in Sierra and when you log in to Vega. This may be specific to our system…the address is always 2 lines, with the first being the street address and the second being the city, state and zip. In the online reg, those are all coming over in separate fields, I guess. What you get in Sierra is the street address on line 1 (correct), 2nd line is blank (incorrect) and the 3rd line is the city, state and zip along with the word “null.”