Net Holds Made Available (Library Level Grouping)

This is just a quick post of something I made this morning while trying to confirm hold fulfillment trends between our member Libraries. The output doesn’t look all that special, but I find the question of “How many items are being used to fill holds at branches outside of their library group?” to be of regular interest and a little challenging to actually produce. Thankfully, the PolarisTransactions database stores the relative information in the Holds become held (item received for hold request) (6006) transaction, so it’s just a matter of targeting that and grouping everything correctly. I was also dealing with financial offset totals recently, which necessitated cross joins to produce net totals, so I applied the same principals here.

As is, the query will return the last full month of holds transactions and be sorted by their net rankings, but those are easy to change. Just be mindful of how many transactions you’re asking it to read. I ran it for dates between Feb. and Sept. and it took a little over a minute for the query to finish running on our database. The holds are also being grouped at the Library level, not the Branch level, so it may not be useful to non-consortia groups, but it still shouldn’t be too hard to repurpose for Branch level groupings. If you have any questions or input, let me know!

Net Holds Made Available (Monthly).sql (3.0 KB)